Monday, February 16, 2015

Many Are Called, But Few Are Frozen

Greetings from the Great White North!

We had quite the blizzard yesterday. A Nor'Easter, as they are called. We had a short sacrament meeting yesterday morning with only 8 in attendance (4 missionaries, 2 non-members, and 2 members). Afterwards we spent over two hours trying to get people out of the parking lot and safely home with all the snow. We ended up leaving our car at the church because we couldn't get out and walking to the senior couple's apartment down the street. We spent the day with them yesterday as the wind and snow continued. It cleared up a bit this morning but is snowing again now. There are drifts 5 to 6 feet tall! The pictures attached are of Sister Gochnour and I at a French fort on the New Brunswick border and of the snow outside the back door this morning. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
 Sister Gochnour and I at a French fort on the New Brunswick border 
Snow outside the back door this morning. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
I was supposed to speak in sacrament meeting yesterday with the high councilman, but because of the storm that assignment is postponed until next week. All four missionaries shared our testimonies on the Restoration yesterday during church instead, so I didn't get out of speaking completely! Sister Lockhart and I also did a musical number.

 Despite not giving my original talk yesterday, I learned so much this week as I prepared for it. My topic was obedience. As I pondered on why God asks us to be obedient to His commandments, the Spirit bore witness to me that it is because He loves us and has our best interest in mind. Our obedience is how we show and increase in our love, faith, and trust in Him. As the third article of faith teaches, obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel is the only way for us to be saved through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Savior is the perfect example of obedience. As I continue to learn about His life, I am in awe of His complete submission to His Father's will. His view of obedience was doing those things that pleased His Father (John 8:29). Here are some of my favorite quotes from my studies this week:

"Spiritually mature obedience is 'the Savior's obedience.' It is motivated by true love for Heavenly Father and His Son."
"Our love for the Savior is the key to Savior-like obedience."
-Elder Robert D. Hales

"Obedience is an emblem of our faith in the wisdom and power of the highest authority, even God."
-Elder L. Tom Perry

As I reflected on experiences, both good and bad, that I have had in regards to obedience as a missionary and in my life, I recognized that consistent obedience in the small and simple things created a strong foundation for me to build my life centered in Jesus Christ. Prayer and scripture study both individually and with my family, observance of the Sabbath day, temple attendance, small acts of kindness all led to miracles, whether I realized it in the moment or not until years later.

I know that God lives and He loves each one of us. His ways are not our ways, but His ways are best. Obedience is the price that brings joy to our lives! 

Christ is the reason!

Love you!
Sister Renda

No comments:

Post a Comment