Thursday, January 22, 2015

"She Hath Wrought a Good Work"

Sorry to hear you are all sick! That is no fun! There's definitely something going around here as well, but I am healthy. Multivitamins, Vitamin C and exercise does an immune system well. :) How is your foot doing? Is it all recovered now? I got your package for my birthday! Thanks for the lotion and soap!

I feel a great sense of gratitude today for the blessing it is to be a missionary. One of the zone leaders taught me a powerful lesson this week. He referenced the story in the New Testament of Mary of Bethany anointing Christ's head and feet and wiping His feet with her hair and taught that my mission is my opportunity to be like Mary. That image stayed with me and the next day during my studies I read the different accounts of this story in the New Testament. Piecing the story together from John 12:1-3 and Mark 14:3-9, I imagined kneeling at the Savior's feet as Mary and wiping His feet with my hair. What love and reverence this faithful woman had for her Savior! The disciples watched and some of them said she wasted the oil (spikenard, one of the most expensive ointments or oils) which could have been sold and the money given to the poor. They told her that her sacrifice was not worth it. 

In return the Savior said, "Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me. For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always. She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying. Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel is preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her."

Though the world may mock at the sacrifices we make to follow the Savior, He is grateful for our sacrifices. 

This story of Mary reminds me of the last verse of A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief: 

"Then in a moment to my view
The stranger started from disguise.
The tokens in his hands I knew;
The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake and my poor name he named,
'Of me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall they memorial be. 
Fear not, thou didst them unto me."

Our service to others is how we show our love for our Savior and those small acts of kindness will be a memorial of our devotion and faith. 

I hope you have a great week! Love you! Transfers are coming quickly again. Sunday is transfer letter day. 

Have a great week!

Love,
Sister Renda

No comments:

Post a Comment