Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I'm Going to America!

Hello from Canada! I found out this morning that this will be the last time for awhile that I will be able to say that. I am being transferred to Presque Isle, Maine tonight. Emergency transfers always have a way of reminding you to trust in the Lord. A sister missionary just arrived from the recently closed Ukraine mission, and she will be serving here in Wolfville with Sister Lee. My new companion will be Sister Christensen. I've met her a few times. If I remember correctly, she is from Washington. A new adventure lies ahead in the land of the free and the home of the brave! I'm sad to be leaving Sister Lee. We've had quite the adventure together, but the Lord has other plans for us. Our plotting of being companions for the rest of her mission seems to have been foiled. Oh well. :)
I learned this last week how important it is to listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost. Many times when those promptings come, I don't recognize immediately that it is the Holy Ghost speaking to me. We were walking into the church one morning this past week and saw a lady walking by the church. It would have been so easy to just walk inside the church, but I felt this urge to go talk to her. We hustled over to her and introduced ourselves. She told us that she was on her way to the hospital for an appointment. It was a simple conversation. She told us that she had been thinking recently about strengthening her relationship with Jesus Christ. We invited her to meet with us and to come to church with us and prayed with her. After that experience, I knew that the urge to talk to her was more than just my own thoughts. It was inspired by the Spirit. The woman didn't come to church on Sunday, nor did our lesson with her go through, but I knew that the Lord had worked through us in that brief moment. Perhaps His plan for her includes those important steps in the future, but for right now, maybe that was all she needed. I need to be more in tune with the Spirit so that the Lord can trust me to be His hands. 

There is no better feeling than that of knowing the Lord can trust me and that He is pleased with the work I am doing. Sister Lee and I spent an entire day contacting and knocking this last week. It rained most of the afternoon and we didn't find a single person that day who would listen to our message, despite our invitations to learn more about the Book of Mormon. At the end of the night, we were tired, but we felt good knowing that we had done what the Lord asked us to do. I'm sure I will have more days like that in the coming weeks and months, and while they aren't always "fun," my devotion to the Lord and His work matters more.
 
Love, 
Sister Renda

No comments:

Post a Comment